A Typical Day

Over the the course of our homeschooling years I try to take some time each year to record what is going on in our schooling so we will have something to look back on as the years pass and senility overcomes me *G* Not to mention that people are always asking me what our day looks like so it's nice to give them some idea.

Today is April 7th, 2008 and we currently have 4 kids homeschooling and 1 for all intents and purposes who is done and will get his diploma at the end of this school year in May.

My day began at the crack of 8am and then again at 8:45, I only closed my eyes for what I thought was a second to then be bolted awake by two kids fighting about the correct order to add the eggs and the milk when making crepes. Yes I know, it seems all you read about is the moms who are up at 5 am making time for personal devotions and feeding chickens, but that's not me and we don't own any chickens.

Husband is out of town on business and he would have been way gone by now anyway so I listen a bit more to see if the crepe recipe argument is going to escalate into the danger zone, decide it's not and slip out of bed and get dressed in relative silence while I contemplate what will be going on during our day.

I make my way downstairs with a pile of laundry in my arms, step over a cat on the staircase and let it be known that we will be getting to lessons as soon as I wolf down some breakfast. To this I am greeted with a chorus of objections that they were not done making crepes as was evidenced by the cavalcade of bowls and flour containers on the counter tops. I relent, and request some raspberry crepes and settle down to answer and few emails and pull some visuals of the black death to go along with the video we are going to watch on the very subject.

I eat my crepes and wash them down with some diet coke ( yeh, I don't drink coffee and juice spikes my blood sugar too high) I print off the black death doctor's masks and pop new ink cartridges into the printer cursing the price of ink under my breath. I send out my second warning that we are going to get moving on lessons, it's now 9:45. I settle one kid into his math on the computer, one into his book, daughter into ACT prep book and I start a reading lesson with the youngest.

Thirty-ish minutes pass and we are done with 3 reading lessons and 1/2 a chapter of reading to me from a Magic Tree House book. One son is done with computer math and and other is done with this reading so I switch them around, daughter asks ACT prep questions which I cannot answer and we must go look up. Set youngest with Grammar lesson and copy work.

30-40 minutes pass with me floating between all the kids answering questions and prompting better attention to task. Attention is seeming to flag on all fronts so I hand out snacks to everyone ( little cups of almonds and cheese sticks - don't get real impressed, we were out of cookies)

After snacks were consumed thus engaging the need to bathroom daughter get back to ACT and older son is directed towards his Grammar and away from his serious practise of the air guitar and drums. Little one works on his math while I teach other son the mysteries of diagramming a sentence. We do two diagramming worksheets while youngest does his math.

It's about noon and I get out the video (netflix-History Channel) on the Black Death, we pop some popcorn ( weird hu?) and I settle in to watch it with the younger boys. Lots of questions and stopping of the video ensue so that we can talk and answer questions. So 40 minute video takes an hour to watch. Then hand video to teen son to watch and the young boys and I do a journal page dealing with what they learned about the black death. I use the print outs that I made earlier and we find a great drawing of some evil looking rats and some great drawings of other black death points of ghoulish interest to put in our books. With journal and copy work this takes about an hour. It's now 2 pm, time for a fast lunch and then into the pool!!

The boys swam for about an hour while I did some email ( got to love pool side wireless Internet!).. 3ish we came up, i did some laundry, took teen son to the hardware store to get some rosin core soldier for some guitar repair work he is doing, swing by library and pick up books, come home, teen daughter asks me about dinner and she starts getting it ready while I make this post.

The evening will hold housework, more laundry and if I am lucky a bit of sewing or crafting. We need more milk, there is a suspicious stain on the sofa and guilty looking Great Dane, this was my life today.


Anonymous said...

and a great life it is!

thanks for sharing this bit of you and yours.
it was wonderful reading!

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

thanks for the blow by blow.

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank heavens I'm not the only mother who isn't up at 5 a.m. to reflect on her life and plan out her day ... sounds to me like you get an awful lot packed in, though!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maddie:
Just saw your comment on Amy's blog and you mentioned you are close to Chattanooga. So are we! In Catoosa Co. Nice to find a local blogger who also homeschools.

Very Mary said...

If you had chickens, you could milk them.