Really some things in life should not be hard, take for example picking a lampshade, when you get it right the angels sing, get it wrong and it is like being visually poked in the eye each day. In the past few weeks I have run across a couple tips to help you pick the shade of your dreams:
- General rule is that the shade should be about 2x the size of the lamp base.
- You would never see the lamp harp or bulb exposed, if so the shade is too skimpy
- Aim for 2/3 the height of the base for the shade
- Drum shades add a more modern feel
- Empire shades are more classic
- Tight spots call for narrow shades- so the lamp can be closer to the wall.
- Balance can be achieved through color and size but you have to be careful
Yes, from Ballard's
So there you go.. shade 101...go forth and cover!